The Training & Upgrading Fund, upon availability of funds, offers the Forgivable Loan Program to 1199SEIU members that are enrolled in college programs leading to professions identified by employers as shortage areas. The Forgivable Loan Program offers to the members financial and tuition support to help them finish their academic degree in a shorter amount of time by going to school full time. For up to two (2) years, the Training & Upgrading Fund will:
- Pay the salary and benefits of the member for up to three (3) days per week
- Cover all full time and required costs of credits needed to complete the program of study
- Work closely with the member, the union, and the healthcare facility’s Human Resources office to guarantee the member’s participation in the Release Time Program
The salary, benefits and credit costs constitute a “Loan” that will be forgiven upon completion of the academic program, if the member seeks employment at a facility that contributes to the Training & Upgrading Fund.
That means that if a member completes the academic program and seeks employment at an 1199 facility, they do not have to pay the loan back.
To be eligible, the member:
- Must have continuous, active employment for at least one (1) year in a bargaining unit position for an employer contributing to the Fund on the member’s behalf.
- Has to be a regular Wage Class 1 employee
- Has to be accepted and enrolled in an accredited degree program – from the list of selected occupations and professions (inquire below for specific professions)
- Must be taking the requisite/major courses (not general education courses or pre-requisites)
- Must have a 3.0 Grade Point Average or better
- Must enroll full time in school (12 to 15 credits per regular school term)
For additional information contact the Training & Upgrading Fund (212- 284-9210) and ask to speak with a counselor. You can also send an email to: [email protected].