A healthy body gives you freedom
Freedom to dream.
Freedom to thrive.
Getting more movement into your everyday routine is the best way to improve your emotional and physical wellness—and you may lose weight and cut down on the risk of illness. So whether you’re dusting off your sneakers or lacing them up for the first time, it’s never too late to get walking, running, biking or dancing—just get moving so that you can do the things you enjoy!
Here are some simple ideas to get you started—try choosing one —and remember, every little bit counts!
- Get off the subway or bus one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
- Use TV commercial breaks to do 10 crunches or dance.
- Clean the bathroom, do laundry, wash dishes—they all burn calories.
- Stand up, walk around, stretch or tense your stomach muscles and hold and release eight seconds each time, for five minutes several times a day—at work or at home.
- Play with your kids or pet.
- Take a 30-minute walk after a meal once a day.
Sources: WebMD and NIH
Get a discounted gym membership
Exercise can boost your physical and mental health, so it’s important to find a routine or program that’s right for you. You can take advantage of discounts at gyms like the YMCA of Greater New York and SBH Health’s Healthplex Fitness Center.
You and your family are eligible for a special group rate at any New York City YMCA branch and can access all the community and family programs the YMCA offers, as well as their healthy-lifestyle facilities. Membership includes state-of-the-art cardio and strength-training equipment, free group fitness classes, lap swim and family swim, basketball courts and more!
If you live or work in the Bronx, SBH offers a discounted membership that includes access to the Fitness Center six days a week and to all scheduled classes such as Zumba, Illuminated Spin and Yoga, as well as three Teaching Kitchen classes.