The 1199SEIU Child Care Corporation’s youth programs, including WorkForce 2000 and the Youth Mentoring Program, allow teenagers to explore career interests by giving them early access to work experiences and professional development opportunities prior to entering a traditional work environment.
WorkForce 2000 (WF2) is a year-round academic program designed to help teenagers succeed in high school, prepare for college and explore career interests. Students participating in this program will develop study strategies, writing skills and college action plans. Students will also receive targeted academic support and preparation for the PSAT, SAT, ACT, AP and New York State Regents Exams. All new students and their parents are required to attend an orientation in winter 2020. Current high school seniors are not eligible.
WF2 Components for Program Year July 2020 Through June 2021
- Summer Experience (July 2020 through August 2020):
- Summer Academic Experience: A four-week program focused on enhancing academic skills, exploring career options and planning for college.
- Summer Work Internship: Students meeting the program requirements can apply for a six-week internship to gain work experience and explore career options. Some students may be eligible for paid opportunities.
- Saturday Academics (September 2020 through June 2021): Students attend classes on select Saturdays at New York University. The academic component strengthens college and career readiness, builds life/leadership skills and promotes social/cultural development and community building.
- Pre-RN Track: WF2 students who are considering a career in nursing and who meet the Pre-RN Track’s program requirements can apply for this year- round, career-focused academic and experiential learning program.
- Workshops and leadership experiences: These are offered throughout the year, along with the annual Fall Retreat, which provides community-building, skill-building and problem-solving opportunities.