2022–2023 Joseph Tauber Scholarship Program Application Information
Listed below are application instructions for the Joseph Tauber Scholarship Program. Failure to submit all application materials or to meet the required deadlines will disqualify applicants from consideration.
Documents to Submit
Within 30 days of the date of the email request from the Funds
July 1, 2022 (Friday) – Extended Deadline
|September 30, 2022 (Friday)|
|February 17, 2023 (Friday)||
|July 17, 2023 (Monday)||
To be considered for a 2022–2023 Joseph Tauber Scholarship award, you must meet all eligibility requirements.
- Be employed by an institution that contributes to the 1199SEIU National Benefit Fund (NBF) or the 1199SEIU Greater New York (GNY) Child Care Fund;
- Be Wage Class I or Eligibility Class I; and
- Have received benefits for at least one year at a participating institution or facility.
Please note that if the member’s eligibility changes after having received the scholarship application materials, the student may no longer be eligible for an award at the time the application is processed.
Student applicants must:
- Be a high school graduate or post-secondary school student and the child of an eligible 1199SEIU member;
- Be enrolled full time in an accredited undergraduate college/university for the 2022–2023 academic year (Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters);
- Be younger than 23 years of age as of September 1, 2022 (please note: students turning 23 during the award year may be eligible for only a partial award);
- Apply for both state and federal aid each academic year; and
- Not have already received the Joseph Tauber Scholarship for the maximum four years of payment. Consideration for a 5th-year award is given to students pursuing medical careers, for which five years of undergraduate work may be required.
Member’s Change of Address
Award checks are mailed to the member’s main address on record. If the member’s address on record requires an update, please change it via MyAccount.
Important Award Information
Most scholarship award payments received during the fall will represent the full award for the school year. Students receiving awards greater than the minimum award of $750 for the school year may have their awards adjusted based on the financial aid information we receive.
Scholarship award review and processing begins after the September 30 deadline and takes time. While we strive to mail award checks by December, we will continue to mail awards after December and through the spring semester.
Important Information about the Next Academic Year
2023–2024 application instructions will be sent by April 1, 2023, if:
- The student will be under 23 years of age as of September 1, 2023;
- The student meets all eligibility requirements; and
- The member meets all eligibility requirements.
Automatic award renewals are not granted; scholarship recipients must reapply each year for consideration.
According to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules and regulations, the Funds consider the Joseph Tauber Scholarship benefit to be “taxable wages.” If a member’s child is awarded a scholarship, the value of the scholarship must be included on the member’s tax return when filing the following year.
For inquiries, email [email protected] or call us at (646) 473-8999. Help us reduce delays by submitting your inquiries via email or voicemail, not both.