Training and Upgrading Fund (TUF)
The Training Fund is a benefit in which 1199SEIU members are eligible to receive tuition assistance towards any degree that will help them obtain or advance their career within the healthcare field.
- Employed in a union job at an employer that participates in the Training Fund.
- Must be a full-time employee, or
- Must be a part-time employee who works a minimum of 3/5 or more of full-time hours. For example, if full-time at your facility is 37.5 hours per week and you work 22.5 hours, you are eligible for 80 percent of the benefit.
- Must have completed your probationary period.
- Must have reached your one (1) year anniversary by the start date of your program.
- Maximum benefit for tuition assistance is $3,000 annually.
- Maximum of $265 per credit for courses in which you receive a grade of C or higher for Undergraduate Tuition.
- Maximum of $425 per credit for courses in which you receive a grade of B or higher for Graduate Tuition.
- There is no limit on the number of credits that can be taken in a given semester or year, but the annual benefit will not exceed $3,000 per calendar year.
- Maximum payment for fees is $100 per semester.
- Part-time eligibility rules will apply.
- Tuition voucher (pre-pay) program available for many public colleges and universities and some private colleges.
List of Colleges in the Voucher (Pre-Pay) Program
- Cayuga Community College
- Clinton Community College
- Corning Community College
- Crouse School of Nursing
- Erie Community College
- Genesee Community College
- Jamestown Community College
- Mohawk Valley Community College
- Monroe Community College
- Morrisville Community College
- Niagara County Community College
- Onondaga Community College
- SUNY Brockport
- SUNY Empire
- SUNY Plattsburgh
- SUNY Upstate
- Tompkins Cortland Community College
- University at Buffalo
Note: Contact the Training Fund to find out about a specific school not identified here as we may be able expand our voucher agreements to additional public schools.
Certified Nursing Assistant Program**
- Must meet Tuition Assistance Eligibility Requirements above, and
- Must be pre-approved by Training Fund staff.
- Eligible for reimbursement up to $2,500 for C.N.A. certification training, or
- Depending upon the vendor, eligible for pre-payment through a bursar letter up to $2,500 for C.N.A. certification training.
**Note: This is a trail program and funds are capped. Students will be approved on a first-come, first-served basis.
First Time Applicants or Members Seeking a New Degree need to meet with their Program Specialist in advance of their first semester during the following periods:
June 1st — August 20th
WINTER & SPRING SEMESTERS
October 1st — December 15th
April 1st — May 31st
Questions or concerns can be directed toward the Program Specialist at your facility.