Training and Employment – Frequently Asked Questions

How is my eligibility affected by layoffs?

Regular Wage Class I and II employees who are laid off from covered employment may be eligible for benefits. Applicants who are laid off while in a program may complete the current semester if approved by the Executive Director. In addition, where the Executive Director has expressly provided, applicants who have been laid off may be eligible for benefits for no more than two years from the effective date of layoff, if they waive eligibility for benefits under the 1199SEIU League Job Security Fund.

How is my eligibility affected if my employer is unable to contribute on my behalf?

If benefits are suspended by the Collections Committee of the Board of Trustees, affected employees are ineligible for entry into Fund programs until the delinquency is resolved. Those employees participating in a program at the time of the benefit suspension may complete their current semester or program year at the discretion of the Executive Director.

How do I prove my eligibility if I’m a Greater New York member?

In most cases, the Training Fund staff can obtain your eligibility status from our records with the National Benefit Fund (NBF) database. We will also work with you to figure out alternative methods of verification.

Do I need to apply for financial aid if I’m going for a higher education degree?

Yes, all members must show proof of having applied for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every semester in which a student requests tuition assistance. In general, all scholarships, and other tuition assistance and financial aid (excluding student loans and merit scholarships), are deducted from the amount of your reimbursement.

What should I know about my tax liability?

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires that employees receiving education or training benefits valued at or above $5,250 in a calendar year must pay income tax on the benefits. In order to be reported as taxable benefits, the training/education classes you take must be intended to lead you to an advanced job. These rules apply to both employed and unemployed union members.

For more information, please contact our Counseling Hotline at (212) 284-9210 or email us at [email protected].