TEF Member Bulletin
We recently discovered that some applicants have responded to job advertisements posted on Craigslist and other websites by vendors claiming to be affiliated with 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East or the 1199SEIU Training and Employment Funds, only to be asked to pay a fee for the job referral or specialized certifications that will guarantee them a job. These vendors are not affiliated with the Employment Center or the Union: Do not work with any vendor who asks for payment of any kind.
The 1199SEIU Training and Employment Funds will never charge you fees for job referrals.
TEF is now online
In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, TEF has taken measures to protect your health and safety while continuing to support your educational goals and workforce needs. TEF has collaborated with multiple education partners with a focus on distance learning solutions. We now have more programs and services available online than ever before.
- Academic and Career Advisement
- Orientations and information sessions
- Financial Assistance
- Online Programs
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Spanish/Foreign Languages
- Computer Training
- High School Equivalency Diploma programs
- 1199SEIU Citizenship Program
- Core Academic Readiness Evaluation (CORE) test
Online Training and Skills Enhancement
- Resume Writing Skills
- Medical Terminology Skills Training
- Home Health Aid Training
- Patient Care Associate Training for Homecare Workers
- Certified Nursing Assistant Skills Training
- Environmental Services (EVS)/Cleaners training
- Ladders to Value – Workforce Investment Organization (WIO) Certificate Courses
- Access to thousands of accredited continuing education courses
Online Prep Courses
- Licensing and certificate examination preparation for select professions
- Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) preparation
- License Practical Nurse (LPN) entrance exam preparation
Online Seminars and Symposiums
Fund Sponsored Seminars and Symposiums
Nationally accredited seminars and symposiums for various healthcare disciplines are now delivered as live online.
RNs transitioning to higher acuity of care or ICU settings
A three-part series that focuses on knowledge and skills required for nurses caring for critically ill patients, including those with Covid-19. Nurses earn 4 CEU’s for each completed module.
If you receive supplemental employment benefits, your checks will be mailed on as regularly scheduled on March 20, 2020 and then every two weeks on Friday. If you have not received your check within three days of the mail date, please email YFSWU_M@1199funds.org. Please email your first and last name, phone number and details of your request to expedite a response.
You are not expected to report to the TEF offices at this time, however, you are expected to be available for work.
Members Receiving Educational Stipends
Hospital and Nursing Home Members who receive stipends for release time for educational purposes will receive their checks by mail as regularly scheduled. The next date checks will be mailed is March 27th and then again every two weeks until the end of the semester. If you do not receive your check within 5 days of the mail date, please email Stipend@1199Funds.org. Please email your first and last name, phone number and details of your request to expedite a response.
Homecare Members who receive stipends for release time for educational purposes and/or books or citizenship application fees will receive their checks by mail as regularly scheduled. The next date checks will be mailed is Friday, March 20th and then again every two weeks until the end of the semester. If you do not receive your check within five days of the mail date, please email HCMember.Services@1199Funds.org.
Reimbursements and Tuition Vouchers
The staff at the 1199SEIU Training and Employment Funds are continuing to process payments and making arrangements to mail your reimbursements. We will update you once we have a date for payments to be mailed but expect payments to be mailed within 30 days. We ask that you be patient as we process payments. We are emailing Tuition Vouchers directly to you.
For the time being, you may submit your requests for reimbursement or tuition vouchers via email. When submitting your request, please note the following:
- Send one single email per request.
- Make the subject line of your email NEW REIMBURSEMENT (OR VOUCHER) REQUEST: YOUR FULL NAME
- Confirm your complete mailing address and your email address in the body of the email.
- Attach the required, supporting documents in your email. PDF format is preferred. If you choose to attach photographs, please make certain that they show the entire document, are very clear, and are legible. Please do not embed the documents into the body of your email.
The required, supporting documents are:
- Proof of registration and attendance/completion
- Tuition Reimbursement for College Degree Programs – GRADES (e.g. college transcript, degree audit/evaluation, or grade report)
- Tuition Voucher for College Degree Programs – COURSE REGISTRATION (e.g. college transcript, degree audit/evaluation, or course registration from the college)
- Continuing Education Reimbursement (e.g. certificate of completion/attendance, email from training institution/vendor confirming completion/attendance, or confirmation of earned CEUs)
- Licensure and Certification Renewal Fee Reimbursement – City Fund only (e.g. copy of renewed license or certification, or email from the NYS Office of the Professions confirming renewal)
- Proof of cost and payment – Itemized tuition charges, fee charges, and payment of charges
- Tuition Reimbursement and Tuition Vouchers for College Degree Programs (e.g. college bursar bill or invoice. Note: payment is not needed for Tuition Vouchers)
- Continuing Education Reimbursement (e.g. paid invoice, bill, or email confirming payment from the training institution/vendor)
- Licensure and Certification Renewal Fee Reimbursement – City Fund only (e.g. paid invoice, bill, or email confirming payment from the NYS Office of the Professions)
- Complete TEF General Enrollment Form (required only if this is your first reimbursement application)
- Completed 2020 W4 Form (required only if this is your first reimbursement application)
1199SEIU League Training and Upgrading Fund – Downstate (TUF) and 1199SEIU Greater New York Education Fund (GNY)
- New applicants applying for Tuition Reimbursement for College Degree Programs
- New applicants and current participants applying for a Tuition Voucher for College Degree Programs
- New applicants and current participants applying for reimbursement for Occupational Certificate Programs (e.g. LPN, CASAC, HVAC, Medical Billing and Coding)
- Current participants applying for Tuition Reimbursement for College Degree Programs
- Requests for reimbursement for CEUs and other continuing education activities (e.g. conferences, seminars, certificate courses)
1199SEIU/City of New York, Education, Child, and Eldercare Fund
(Members working at Health and Hospital Corporation):
- Tuition Reimbursement for College Degree Programs
- Tuition Voucher for College Degree Programs
- Reimbursement for Licensure and Certification Renewal Fees
- Continuing Professional Education Reimbursement
If you have academic questions or questions related to your classes, please email Training@1199Funds.org to reach an academic and career counselor.
If You Have Urgent Questions, Please Email:
Down State New York
Continuing education reimbursement or occupational certificates:
Please email your first and last name, phone number and details of your request to expedite a response.
Tuition reimbursement or vouchers:
New York City Fund (Members working at Health and Hospital Corporation):
If you have academic or questions related to your classes, please email Training@1199Funds.org to reach an academic and career counselor.
Upstate New York
Massachusetts, Florida and Maryland/DC
Massachusetts — infoMA@1199Funds.org
Florida — 1199TUFFL@1199Funds.org
Maryland — 1199TUFMDDC@1199Funds.org