Tuition Reimbursement for Degree and Credit-bearing Certificate Programs

Tuition reimbursement is available for credit-bearing courses that are required for your major and degree. Your program of study must be related to your current employment or enable advancement in a healthcare-related field.

Eligible 1199SEIU members may receive tuition reimbursement benefits for up to 24 credits of tuition for undergraduate programs, and up to 12 credits of tuition for graduate programs per calendar year (January 1 – December 31) at accredited colleges and universities.* Tuition is reimbursed at the base CUNY undergraduate and graduate rates: currently $295 and $455 per credit, respectively. Reimbursement will only be provided for courses where you have earned a grade of “C” or better, and maintained a GPA of 2.5 or above.

Reimbursements are made after the deduction of Pell grant program, TAP (Tuition Assistance Program), SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant) program, APTS (Aid for Part-time Study) program, grants, waivers and all financial aid that is not awarded solely on academic merit. Loans and financial aid awarded solely on academic merit are not deducted. Proof is required at the time of application. Note that any tuition assistance benefits you receive cumulatively over $5,250 within a tax year are subject to state and federal taxes.

*Part-time employees are eligible to receive up to 60 percent of the reimbursement benefit.

First-time applicants for tuition reimbursement must meet in-person with a Fund Counselor before the start of your semester to obtain pre-approval for your school and program of study.


To be eligible, you must:

  • Be an 1199SEIU member currently employed for at least one full year at an institution or facility that contributes to the City Fund on your behalf, prior to the semester start date;
  • Be enrolled at an accredited college or university as a matriculated student; and
  • Have passed your college entrance or placement examination. Proof of passing or being exempted from this examination is required with your first tuition reimbursement application.

How to Apply

You must submit your application in person during the appropriate intake period:

Semester Apply
Fall December 1 – January 31
Winter and Spring May 1 – June 30
Summer August 1 – September 30
Non-traditional semester
(Ex: 6-10 week modules at online colleges)
Within 60 days of course completion

The following documents are required every semester:

  • Completed and signed General Enrollment Form
  • Updated college degree audit or college transcript that includes:
    • Your full name
    • College name
    • Major and degree program
    • Courses with grades (must be “C” or better for tuition reimbursement)
    • Cumulative GPA
  • ITEMIZED Bursar bill or invoice that includes:
    • Your full name
    • College name
    • Semester
    • Tuition charge
    • Fees by name, if applicable

You may submit any of the following as proof:

  • Itemized Bursar bill that indicates the type of financial aid received and the amount received;
  • Financial aid award or denial letter from your college; or
  • Proof from FAFSA or your college of your ineligibility for financial aid.

Apply via e-mail:


Apply in person:

1199SEIU/City of New York Education, Child and Eldercare Fund
498 Seventh Avenue
New York, NY 10018

Monday – Tuesday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am – 7:00 pm
Thursday – Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

The processing time is 6 to 8 weeks from the date that you submit a complete application. Faxed applications will not be accepted.

To inquire about your reimbursement, contact us at either or at (212) 894-4339.

Additional Resources:

The Institute for Continuing Education seminars and symposiums
An Immigrant’s Guide to Accessing Health Care in New York

Español English