Joseph Tauber Scholarship Program
The Joseph Tauber Scholarship Program (JTSP) awards scholarships to eligible 1199SEIU members’ children who are attending accredited undergraduate colleges. Award amounts vary according to need, with a minimum award of $750 for the school year.
2024–2025 Academic Year
If you are or will be enrolled in college during the fall 2024/spring 2025 term:
(Please note: The application request period for the 2023-2024 academic year is closed.)
2024–2025 Eligibility Requirements
- Be employed by an institution or facility that contributes to the 1199SEIU National Benefit Fund (NBF) or the 1199SEIU Greater New York (GNY) Child Care Fund;
- Be Wage Class I or Eligibility Class I; and
- Have received benefits for one year at a participating institution or facility. Please note that if the member’s eligibility changes after receiving the scholarship application materials, the student may no longer be eligible for an award when the application is processed.
- Be a high school graduate or post-secondary-school student and the child of an eligible 1199SEIU member;
- Be enrolled full-time in an accredited undergraduate college or university for the 2024–2025 academic year (fall 2024 and spring 2025 semesters);
- Be younger than 23 years of age as of September 1, 2024. Please note that a student turning 23 during the award year may be eligible for only a partial award;
- Apply for both state and federal aid each academic year; and
- Not have already received the Joseph Tauber Scholarship for the maximum four (4) years of payment. Please note that consideration for a 5th-year award is available to students pursuing medical careers, for which five years of undergraduate work may be required.
Both the member and the student must meet and maintain all eligibility requirements prior to the distribution of fall and/or spring semester awards.
Next Generation Registered Nursing Scholarship Program
For members employed by an institution or facility that contributes to the 1199SEIU National Benefit Fund (NBF) or the 1199SEIU Greater New York (GNY) Child Care Fund.
Find Out More & Apply
Licensed Practical Nurses Welfare Fund Scholarship Program
For members employed by an institution or facility that contributes to the 1199SEIU Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) Welfare Fund.
Find Out More & Apply
Important Award Information
Automatic award renewals are not granted; scholarship recipients must reapply each year for consideration.
According to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules and regulations, the Fund considers the Joseph Tauber Scholarship benefit to be “taxable wages.” If a member’s child receives a scholarship, the value of the scholarship must be included on the member’s tax return when filing taxes the following year.
For inquiries, email [email protected] or call us at (646) 473-8999. Help us reduce delays: Please submit your inquiries via email or voicemail, not both.