Joseph Tauber Scholarship Program
The Joseph Tauber Scholarship Program (JTSP) awards scholarships to children of eligible 1199SEIU members who are attending accredited undergraduate colleges. Award amounts vary according to need, with a minimum award of $750 for the school year.
If you received an award for the 2019–2020 Academic Year, see additional funding details through our Study Incentive Program.
2020–2021 Academic Year
If you are or will be enrolled in college during the Fall 2020/Spring 2021 term:
For more information, email us at 1199JTSP@1199Funds.org or call us at (646) 473-8999.
2021–2022 Academic Year
If you are currently a 12th grade high school student and/or will be enrolled in college during the Fall 2021/Spring 2022 term:
The application request period for the 2021–2022 academic year is open and will end January 31, 2021. See 2021–2022 eligibility requirements listed below. If both the member and the student meet all eligibility requirements:
2021–2022 Eligibility Requirements
A Member Must:
- Be employed by an institution or facility that contributes to the 1199SEIU National Benefit Fund (NBF) or the 1199SEIU Greater New York (GNY) Child Care Fund.
- Be Wage Class I or Eligibility Class I; and
- Have received benefits for one year at a participating institution or facility. Please note that if the member’s eligibility changes after having received the scholarship application materials, the student may no longer be eligible for an award at the time the application is processed.
A Student Applicant Must:
- Be a high school graduate or post-secondary-school student and the child of an eligible 1199SEIU member;
- Be enrolled full-time in an accredited undergraduate college or university for the 2021–2022 academic year (Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 semesters);
- Be younger than 23 years of age as of September 1, 2021. Please note that a student turning 23 during the award year may be eligible for only a partial award;
- Apply for both state and federal aid each academic year; and
- Not have already received the Joseph Tauber Scholarship for the maximum four (4) years of payment. Please note that consideration for a 5th-year award is available to students pursuing medical careers, for which five years of undergraduate work may be required.
Both the member and the student must meet and maintain all eligibility requirements prior to the distribution of a fall and/or spring semester awards.
Licensed Practical Nurses Welfare Fund Scholarship Program
Important Award Information
Automatic award renewals are not granted; scholarship recipients must reapply each year for consideration. For the convenience of our continuing applicants, we have included a checkbox at the bottom of our Official Application and College Release Form to request application materials for the next academic year.
Please note that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has determined that a Joseph Tauber Scholarship award is a taxable benefit. If a member’s child is awarded a scholarship, the value of the scholarship must be included on the member’s tax return when filing taxes the following year.
Email us at 1199JTSP@1199Funds.org or call us at (646) 473-8999.
Responding to a duplicate inquiry via email and voicemail lengthens delays. To help us reduce delays, please forward us your inquiry via email or voicemail, not both.