Joseph Tauber Scholarship Program
The Joseph Tauber Scholarship Program (JTSP) awards scholarships to children of eligible 1199SEIU members who are attending accredited undergraduate colleges. Award amounts vary according to need, with a minimum award of $750 for the school year.
2022–2023 Academic Year
The application request period for the 2022–2023 academic year has ended.
2022–2023 Eligibility Requirements
A Member Must:
- Be employed by an institution or facility that contributes to the 1199SEIU National Benefit Fund (NBF) or the 1199SEIU Greater New York (GNY) Child Care Fund.
- Be Wage Class I or Eligibility Class I; and
- Have received benefits for one year at a participating institution or facility. Please note that if the member’s eligibility changes after having received the scholarship application materials, the student may no longer be eligible for an award at the time the application is processed.
A Student Applicant Must:
- Be a high school graduate or post-secondary-school student and the child of an eligible 1199SEIU member;
- Be enrolled full-time in an accredited undergraduate college or university for the 2022–2032 academic year (Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters);
- Be younger than 23 years of age as of September 1, 2022. Please note that a student turning 23 during the award year may be eligible for only a partial award;
- Apply for both state and federal aid each academic year; and
- Not have already received the Joseph Tauber Scholarship for the maximum four (4) years of payment. Please note that consideration for a 5th-year award is available to students pursuing medical careers, for which five years of undergraduate work may be required.
Next Generation Registered Nursing Scholarship Program
For members employed by an institution or facility that contributes to the 1199SEIU National Benefit Fund (NBF) or the 1199SEIU Greater New York (GNY) Child Care Fund.
Find Out More & Apply
Licensed Practical Nurses Welfare Fund Scholarship Program
For members employed by an institution or facility that contributes to the 1199SEIU Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) Welfare Fund.
Find Out More & Apply
Important Award Information
Automatic award renewals are not granted; scholarship recipients must reapply each year for consideration. For the convenience of our continuing applicants, we have included a checkbox at the bottom of our Official Application and College Release Form to request application materials for the next academic year.
According to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules and regulations, the Fund considers the Joseph Tauber Scholarship benefit to be “taxable wages. If a member’s child is awarded a scholarship, the value of the scholarship must be included on the member’s tax return when filing taxes the following year.
Email us at [email protected] or call us at (646) 473-8999.
Responding to a duplicate inquiry via email and voicemail lengthens delays. To help us reduce delays, please forward us your inquiry via email or voicemail, not both.
As we continue to monitor COVID-19 developments and follow CDC, New York State and New York City guidelines, the Funds are maintaining essential services for our members. We appreciate your patience and understanding, as there will be delays in processing.