Tuition Vouchers for Degree and Credit-bearing Certificate Programs

You are encouraged to take advantage of the low-cost, high-quality education offered through the colleges of the City University of New York (CUNY) and select colleges of the State University of New York (SUNY) when pursuing your degree at the undergraduate and graduate level. The Tuition Voucher program allows you to take credit-bearing courses that satisfy your degree program requirements, without paying upfront tuition costs.

Eligible 1199SEIU members may receive tuition voucher benefits for up to 24 credits of tuition for undergraduate programs, and up to 12 credits of tuition for graduate programs per calendar year (January 1 – December 31) at CUNY and SUNY colleges.* Tuition is paid at the base CUNY undergraduate and graduate rates: currently $295 and $455 per credit, respectively. CUNY tuition vouchers are issued only for credit-bearing courses that are required for your major and degree. Your program of study must be related to your current employment or enable advancement in a healthcare-related field.

Tuition voucher payments are made for courses where you have earned a grade of “C” or better. If you receive a grade below “C” (including a withdrawal or administrative grade) you will be responsible for repaying to the Fund any tuition and fees paid by the voucher.

Tuition voucher payments are made to your school after the deduction of Pell grant program, TAP , SEOG program, APTS program, grants, waivers and all financial aid that is not awarded solely on academic merit. Loans and financial aid awarded solely on academic merit are not deducted. Proof is required at the time of application. Note that any tuition assistance benefits you receive cumulatively over $5,250 within a tax year are subject to state and federal taxes.

*Part-time employees are eligible to receive up to 60 percent of the voucher benefit.


You must meet all eligibility and academic requirements prior to the start of the semester for which you are requesting tuition reimbursement. To be eligible, you must:

  • Be an 1199SEIU member currently employed for at least one full year at an institution or facility that contributes to the Fund on your behalf; and;
  • Be a full-time or part-time employee working at least 70 hours in a 28-day cycle; and
  • Be enrolled at an accredited CUNY or a select SUNY college with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.

In addition, first-time applicants for tuition reimbursement must:

  • Have passed, or be exempt from taking, your college entrance or placement examination. You are required to submit proof of this is required with your first tuition reimbursement application.

How to Apply

In-person only for approval. You must submit your application in person during the appropriate intake period:

Semester Apply
Fall August 1 – September 30
Winter and Spring November 1 – January 31
Summer May 1 – June 30

The following documents are required every semester:

  • Completed and signed City Fund General Enrollment Form
  • Proof that you passed, or are exempt from taking, your College Entrance Exam (required for first-time applicants enrolled in undergraduate programs)
  • Updated college degree audit or college transcript that includes:
    • Your full name
    • College name
    • Major and degree program
    • Prior coursework with grades
    • Minimum 2.5 Cumulative GPA
  • Proof of course registration that includes:
    • Your full name
    • College name
    • Semester
    • Registration for courses for which the voucher is being requested

    Note: This information may be available on your updated college transcript or degree audit.

  • ITEMIZED Bursar bill or invoice that includes:
    • Your full name
    • College name
    • Semester
    • Tuition charge
    • Fees by name, if applicable

You may submit any of the following as proof:

  • Printout from the FAFSA website indicating that your application was successfully processed;
  • Itemized Bursar bill that indicates the type of financial aid received and the amount received;
  • Financial aid award or denial letter from your college; or
  • Proof from FAFSA or your college of your ineligibility for financial aid.

Apply in Person:

1199SEIU/City of New York Education, Child and Eldercare Fund
498 Seventh Avenue
New York, NY 10018

Monday – Tuesday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am – 7:00 pm
Thursday – Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

It is advised that you schedule an appointment with a Fund Counselor to apply for your tuition voucher. To schedule an appointment, contact us at either or at (212) 894-4339.

Additional Resources:

The Institute for Continuing Education seminars and symposiums
An Immigrant’s Guide to Accessing Health Care in New York

Español English