The Joseph Tauber Scholarship Program (JTSP) allows children of eligible 1199SEIU members to be considered for need-based financial awards. Award amounts vary according to need, with a minimum award of $750.
If you received a 2018-2019 Joseph Tauber Scholarship award, see additional funding details through our Study Incentive Program.
If you requested 2019-2020 application materials by our deadline of January 31, 2019 and met all eligibility requirements, the deadlines listed here apply to you.
2019–2020 Deadline Dates
Documents to Be Submitted
|May 17, 2019 (Friday)||
|July 19, 2019 (Friday)||
|September 30, 2019 (Monday)||
|February 14, 2020 (Friday)||
|July 17, 2020 (Friday)||
To be considered for a 2019–2020 Joseph Tauber Scholarship award, all applicable deadlines must be met.
A member must:
- Be employed by an institution that contributes to the 1199SEIU National Benefit Fund (NBF) or the 1199SEIU Greater New York (GNY) Child Care Fund.
- Be Wage Class I or Eligibility Class I; and
- Have received benefits for one year at a participating institution. Please note that if the member’s eligibility changes after having received the scholarship application materials, the student may no longer be eligible for an award at the time the application is processed.
A student applicant must:
- Be a high school graduate or post-secondary school student and the child of an eligible 1199SEIU member;
- Be enrolled full time in an accredited undergraduate college for the 2019–2020 academic year (Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 semesters);
- Be younger than 23 years of age as of September 1, 2019. Please note that a student turning 23 during the award year may be eligible for only a partial award;
- Apply for both state and federal aid each academic year; and
- Not have already received the Joseph Tauber Scholarship for the maximum four (4) years of payment. Please note that consideration for a 5th-year award is given to students pursuing medical careers, for which five years of undergraduate work may be required.
Important Award Information
Automatic award renewals are not granted; scholarship recipients must reapply each year for consideration. For your convenience, we have included a checkbox at the bottom of the 2019–2020 Official Application and College Release Form to request 2020–2021 application materials.
Please note that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has determined that a Joseph Tauber Scholarship award is a taxable benefit. If a member’s child is awarded a scholarship, the value of the scholarship must be included on the member’s tax return when filing taxes the following year.
For more information, call us at (646) 473-8999.