Next Generation Registered Nursing Scholarship Program
As we continue to monitor coronavirus (COVID-19) developments and follow New York State and New York City guidelines, the Funds are maintaining essential services for our members. Call or email us your inquiry to [email protected] or visit our website for important updates.
Duplicate inquiries via email and voicemail increase delays. To help us reduce delays, please send us your inquiry via email or voicemail, not both. We appreciate your patience and understanding, as there will be delays in processing.
The Next Generation Registered Nursing (NGRN) Scholarship Program awards scholarships to children of eligible members who are working toward a degree in nursing. Students in the clinical phase of a full-time, two- or four-year college-based registered nursing program may be eligible for an annual scholarship of $2,750 for up to two years. Recipients can also apply for up to $500 in reimbursement to help pay for a review class for the NCLEX licensure exam.
The NGRN Scholarship Official Application and College Release Form can be requested by calling the Scholarship Office at (646) 473-8999.
A Member Must:
- Be employed by an institution or facility that contributes to the 1199SEIU National Benefit Fund (NBF) or the 1199SEIU Greater New York (GNY) Child Care Fund.
- Be a Wage Class I or Eligibility Class I member; and
- Have received benefits for one year at a participating institution or facility. Please note that if the member’s eligibility changes after having received the scholarship application materials, the student may no longer be eligible for an award at the time the application is processed.
A Student Applicant Must:
- Be a high school graduate or post-secondary school student and the child of an eligible 1199SEIU member;
- Be enrolled full-time in an accredited undergraduate college/university for the 2020–2021 academic year (Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters);
- Be younger than 23 years of age as of September 1, 2020. Please note that a student turning 23 during the award year may be eligible for only a partial award;
- Apply for both state and federal aid each academic year; and
- Not have already received the Next Generation Registered Nursing Scholarship for the maximum two (2) years of payment.
- Be in the clinical phase of a full-time, two- or four-year college-based registered nursing program.
Important Award Information
Automatic award renewals are not granted; scholarship recipients must reapply each year for consideration. For your convenience, we have included a checkbox at the bottom of the 2020–2021 NGRN Official Application and College Release Form to request 2021–2022 application materials.
Please note: NGRN Scholarship recipients may receive an award for a maximum of two (2) years.
According to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules and regulations, the Fund considers the Joseph Tauber Scholarship benefit to be “taxable wages. If a member’s child is awarded a scholarship, the value of the scholarship must be included on the member’s tax return when filing taxes the following year.
Email us at [email protected] or call us at (646) 473-8999.
Duplicate inquiries via email and voicemail lengthen delays. To help us reduce delays, please forward us your inquiry via email or voicemail, not both.